Tuesday 26 March 2019

Professional Meeting - Progress Tracking with VC Prof. Liz Barnes

Today I had the really great opportunity to sit in on the progress tracking meetings Prof. Liz Barnes had with the Marketing and Comms department at Staffs Uni. Not only was this invaluable for networking reasons (allowed me to get to know everyone in Marketing and Comms (a department that's obviously very relevant to my career goals), and to talk to Liz more, who I've only had brief conversations with in the past), but it also gave me insight into how the marketing department worked in a large company like the university. I was able to see how issues were identified and dealt with, how different areas of the department worked together, and the stats that showed the real world impact of the marketing choices made by the people in the department.

I found this really exciting and interesting, and hope to have more experience with the Marketing and Comms department in the future, whether it's through my position of Student Comms Ambassador, or by organising work experience placements in the summer.

EDIT: Whilst I was in the meeting today, I proposed to my boss the idea of me working serious over Clearing period to get some realistic experience of being a social media manager in a large company during a busy time. She loved the idea and said she'd work to get some hours set aside to allow me to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment