Monday 8 April 2019

Emm's Wedding - Negotiating Event Photography

When I was younger, I did a lot of event photography, particularly wedding and christenings, and this is quite widely known in the small, country town that I grew up in. From this, I had an acquaintance of mine message me on Facebook asking if I was still available to do this, as she'd seen my previous work through a friend.

As I haven't done a wedding in almost 4 years, this took a bit of thinking. I am always very wary of deciding what to charge because, while I'm not a 'professional' photographer, weddings are really stressful and take a huge amount of planning, editing and sorting. Luckily, I remembered the way I used to organise wedding pricing, which was giving 'module options' - so, offering a variety of parts of the wedding that people usually want photographed, and letting the client pick and choose which bits they do and don't want. This can be seen in the screenshots below of my conversation with Emma...




We are currently organising a time to meet up in person so I can get all the details and make sure we're on the same page. From here, I'll draw up a basic contract agreeing upon the price and the content they will receive and how/when. I intend to take a 20% deposit upfront. This is something I've never done within photography before, but want to get in the habit of for my own security.

UPDATE: 4/5 - Emma contacted me enquiring if she could pass my details onto her cousin who is getting married next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment