Tuesday 9 April 2019

Union Team Member Process - Applying and Being Interviewed for a Marketing Job

Whilst eating at one of the uni venues one evening, I noticed an advert on the display screens that the Students' Union was advertising for applications for a few jobs around the university. While I was interested in working in the Union venues casually, I intended to apply in September when I knew more about my schedule whilst on my Master's. But then I noticed one of the positions they were advertising for was marketing for the Union. This seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to get more real world marketing, design and SM management experience, whilst helping to fund my Master's. The application deadline was that night, so I had to rush through my application, but I luckily still had my partner to proof read it for me. 

Below, you can some screenshots from my online application...







The next week, I had an interview. Something I always struggle with with interviews is what to wear. I, of course, want to come across very professional and put-together, but I think it's very important to maintain a sense of self in my interview outfits (especially when applying to work for a fresh, youthful company like the Union, or a lot of the companies I am looking to for the future). Below is what I went for - a formal blazer, slim fit dress trouser, brogues, but paired it with a casual plain, black tee and some funky makeup...



During the interview, I was extremely nervous and felt I rambled a bit. Because of this, I found myself apologising a lot. Luckily, my interviewers were very kind about this, but in the future I intend to be more aware of this when going into interviews. Other than this, I was very happy with my pre-interview prep, as a lot of the questions I had practised and rehearsed answers for came up. I also did some research on the Union beforehand to make sure I knew who all the relevant people there were for me. I was also very lucky that I could use a lot of things I'd learnt from my SCA job to inform my interview answers. 

Something that did come up was that - although I was applying for the general marketing position, not the graphic design one - I had experience in graphic design. Because of this, one of the interviewers asked me if I could send them some examples of my work after the interview. Because of this, I had to quickly update my portfolio (shown below). I also reworked my CV before the interview (to include my new experiences and career goals), in case it was requested...





UPDATE: I found out today that I got the job! In the job offer, I also received feedback saying that I interviewed very well. I look forward to starting my new job in the next few weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment